Back to all Team Members
Devon McLean is a Turks and Caicos Islander.
Prior to joining the firm, she had practiced in Ontario, Canada.
She has appeared before courts and tribunals in Ontario and the Turks and Caicos, including the Turks and Caicos Islands Court of Appeal.
Devon leads representations defending employment claims, preparing contracts and disciplinary materials. Also in respect of risk management during contract negotiations and terminations. She advocates for landowners defending against encroachments, easements, and acquisitions, and for banks, private asset managers and others in enforcing their financial agreements and in the collection of secured and unsecured debts.
Devon is experienced in tort and contractual disputes, including professional liability, errors and omissions, directors’ and officers’ liability, property loss, product liability, casualty, personal injury, human rights and public law.
- Management of litigation in respect of non-performing secured and unsecured loan portfolio
- Financial services litigation
- Employer challenges in Turks and Caicos Islands Court of Appeal to compensation processes; leading to procedural changes as to same
- Advisory work in the employment context, including contractual, disciplinary and separation / termination agreements
- Enforcement Order requiring demolition of encroaching structures in dispute between property owners
- Injunctive relief preventing construction on adjoining property to that of client
- Claims for misfeasance in public office
- Defending a high profile Canadian organisation focused on refugee resettlement against a civil claim for damages for sexual harassment based on the conduct of a former employee; successfully obtained order that the claim be struck out
- Sri Lankan asylum applicants in the Turks and Caicos on their asylum applications and related proceedings, including several judicial review and false imprisonment proceedings
- Ontario, Canada
- Turks & Caicos Islands
University of Guelph, Baccalaureate in Applied Arts in Media Studies
Humber College Institute of Technology and Advanced Learning, Ontario, Advanced Diploma in Journalism – Print and Broadcast
Queen’s University, Toronto, JD
Commonwealth Lawyers Association
Teaching team member, Lawyer as Negotiator course, Osgoode Hall Law School, Toronto
Potcake Place K-9 Rescue, Volunteer and Foster Home