Back to all Team Members
Sophie’s Caribbean practice follows on from her City of London private equity and Mergers and Acquisitions background.
She trained and then practised with Ashursts, followed by Sidley Austin and stints in-house at Merrill Lynch and AIG.
Based in the Turks and Caicos Islands for over a decade, Sophie has expanded her existing areas of corporate and commercial expertise to include real estate development and lending (particularly in the field of real estate). She heads up the legal teams that advise a number the largest developers in the Islands. Sophie has also advised in relation to developments elsewhere in the Caribbean Region.
Sophie has practised across the Commonwealth since early in her career, including work on the Dr Hastings Banda trial in Malawi in which her late father, Clive Stanbrook O.B.E, Q.C., was leading defence counsel. Sophie is the representative of the Turks and Caicos Islands on the Council for the Commonwealth Lawyers Association.
Sophie deals regularly with Turks and Caicos Islands Government in relation to development concessions and inward investment. Sophie was previously a member of the Turks and Caicos Islands Human Rights Commission. Sophie is a notary public.
- Windward Group Companies – Developments: Blue Cay, South Bank, Emerald Point
- Vista Development Ltd – Development of the Andaz at Grace Bay
- Acting for pan-Caribbean developer on a potential development in one of the family islands
- Acquisition of a watersports company
- General Counsel for Graceway Group Companies
- General Counsel for South Bank Marina Group Companies
- Acquisition of a hydroponic farming business
- Initial set up of new business for a US listed parent company
- Acting for the developers of The Village at Grace Bay in the redrawing and rejuvenation of the development.
- Financing – acting for HNWI on financing of various real estate development projects.
- Panel counsel for Scotiabank (Turks and Caicos) – advising on residential and commercial lending of all sizes.
- England & Wales (1999)
- Turks & Caicos Islands
University of Leicester, LLB
Council member for Turks and Caicos Islands, Commonwealth Lawyers Association, Executive Council member (Turks and Caicos Islands).
Co-convenor for the Human Rights and Rule of Law Committee, Commonwealth Lawyers Association.
Law Society of England & Wales