Back to all Team Members
Yuri is from St Vincent and the Grenadines and is an experienced court advocate.
His work focus remains civil and corporate-commercial litigation in Commonwealth Caribbean jurisdictions both as Counsel and Junior Counsel.
He has appeared before High Courts and Courts of Appeal in the British Virgin Islands, Trinidad and Tobago, the Turks and Caicos Islands and other Caribbean countries
He has also appeared before the Judicial Committee of the Privy Council as Junior Counsel.
- CL86/2019 RGML Limited (in liquidation)
Appearing for the liquidator in proceedings successfully seeking sanction for the first time in Turks and Caicos Islands to enter into a conditional fee arrangement with a funder to pursue a debt to the estate.
- Lead Counsel representing a US Trustee seeking recognition and assistance under the Insolvency Ordinance from the TCI Supreme Court in obtaining disclosure and tracing funds. The matter is the first of its kind in the TCI jurisdiction.
- CV2011/02140 Central Bank of Trinidad and Tobago & Colonial Life Insurance Company (Trinidad) Limited v Lawrence Duprey & Others
Acting for former corporate directors alleged to have breached their fiduciary duties under the Companies Act causing losses of more than US$1.5 Billion.
- CV2013/01917 Petroleum Company of Trinidad and Tobago Limited v Malcom Jones
Acting for a former Director alleged to have breached his fiduciary duty under the Trinidad & Tobago Companies Act to the State oil company causing losses of US$109 Million.
- CV2014/02122 Ramadhar et al v Ramadhar et al
Acting for Claimants in defamation proceedings engaging the Trinidad & Tobago High Court, the Court of Appeal and the Privy Council.
- CL8/2021 Kajeepan, Paintamilkavalan v Minister of Immigration
Acting for indigent Plaintiffs in securing relief for false imprisonment and obtaining court permission by application to retain counsel on a conditional fee basis.
Admitted to practise in:
- Antigua & Barbuda
- British Virgin Islands
- St. Kitts & Nevis
- St. Vincent & the Grenadines
- Trinidad & Tobago
- Turks & Caicos Islands
INSOL Fellowship, (2021-2022)
Legal Education Certificate, Hugh Wooding Law School, Trinidad & Tobago (2012)
LLB, University of the West Indies, Cave Hill (2010)
BA Philosophy, St. Mary’s University, Halifax, Canada (2006)